As you know, or maybe you don't, a trailer's receiver tube needs some lateral stability. Going down the highway, for example, it's being pulled in a straight line and it's not as critical. But when you're coming around a tight bend in a trail, hung up on rocks and going up a hill, the forces in the receiver tube get pretty crazy. So the trailer design must allow for all the tubes to share to load. Or as many as is reasonable. We connected the receiver tube about halfway down the crossmembers. Then we connected it to the side rails of the frame with angled 2" square sections. We'll reinforce the rear corners in the future.
But let's talk about mistakes first. I thought that I knew how I wanted to mount the interior walls to the frame. Because I got excited, I got ahead of myself. I cut and welded stuff on before I really took a step back to look at what I was doing. These brackets were aligned well and all; they were exactly where I intended to put them. But they just...well they looked bad.
I spent some time working on other areas (see previous posts on water and propane), trying my best not to look at these stupid brackets. Not just because they looked stupid, but because I didn't know how I wanted to resolve it, and I refused to think about cutting them off. Yeah, of course I finish-welded them on because simply tacking them in place would have been too simple to fix.
Finally, I'd run out of other stuff to do for a bit and I came up with a better solution. Then I mustered the will to admit my screw up which meant cutting them all off. The collateral was about 3 and a half cut-off disks and a sore back for the evening. But after that, I'd got back to where we wanted to be. Square #1, that is.
Then I made up a bunch of what I'm calling nut plates, although they're really more like nut angles. It just doesn't sound right. And then tacked them in place. From here on out everything gets tacked until we're done. In the end, it was only a minor setback which cost very little other than time and pride. But I'm sure the lesson will prove valuable moving forward.